bergamot orange

/ 2.09.2010 /


I didn't even know what you were. In my rush to be in and out of the grocery store as quickly as possible, I picked you up without giving you a second glance, thinking you were a Meyer lemon.

You caught my attention while at the checkout when the cashier had to look you up, causing me to notice the price appearing below my quart of soy milk. You were nearly $4.00. That'd better be one charming mutherf*cking orange, I thought a la Jules in Pulp Fiction. (I mean he'd have to be ten times more charmin' than that Arnold on Green Acres, you know what I'm sayin'?) I don't typically have money to throw around on $4.00 pieces of mystery fruit, but I let myself be caught adrift in the possibility of allowing myself a little luxury, and thought *this will be a tasty adventure.* I was suddenly excited to find out what a $4.00 lemon tastes like.



Charming indeed! I have never smelled a citrus fruit so fragrant. I can't really describe it beyond citrusy except that before even peeling or cutting into it the thing ooozed fragrant citrus smells all over my hands and kitchen. Once I cut into it there was even a hint of mint.



What I ended up doing, since I hadn't planned on baking or cooking any time soon and I didn't want to risk it going bad while I floundered around being busy with other things for the next month, is juice and zest it to make a salad dressing. A little olive oil, a little ground mustard, a bit of sugar, sea salt, black pepper and fresh parsley.

Next time I get an urge to slurge, I'm going for the mystery fruit.

Nom!

0 comments:

Popular Posts

About

 
Copyright © 2010 A Dark Primeval Forest, All rights reserved
Design by DZignine. Powered by Blogger